Our goal is to provide an environment where we leverage the best local, national, and international talent to contribute to our research and our innovations.
“Treating everyone as equal is a fundamental and immutable tenet in which we operate Fermilab and interact with our communities. At Fermilab, we are committed to fostering a culture of respect and inclusion across all our workforce. This commitment starts with the lab leadership and extends throughout all levels of our organization, and it is a prerequisite to delivering on our mission with excellence.”
-Lia Merminga, Fermilab Director
“Every member of the Fermilab community is accountable for building trust and making the lab an inclusive and equitable place for everyone engaged in our mission of scientific discovery. We are each change agents who are responsible to each other for how we collaborate and contribute to keeping our fingers on the pulse of the laboratory’s culture and climate, challenging convention and realizing sustained change.”
-Sandra Charles, Chief Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility Officer
Laboratory statement of diversity
Fermilab develops, implements and maintains purposeful and intentional strategic initiatives to support a respectful organizational culture and intellectually diverse workplace. Our workforce and community collaborations advance the laboratory’s mission and accountability to welcome and excite diverse national and global talent. Our hallmarks include sharing knowledge, strengthening professional networks, and assuring equity and inclusion for each member of the lab community.
A workplace culture of inclusion:
- promotes a cohesive environment which positively impacts productivity, morale, and innovation
- fosters respect and values each employee’s contributions
- welcomes the experiences, perspectives, and strengths of a diverse workforce to drive teamwork, innovation, critical analysis and creativity
Fermilab Alumni Network
The Fermilab Alumni Network (FAN) is a dynamic repository managed by the Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility that captures the academic and career profiles of past interns and supports hiring team efforts to fill critical workforce needs for Fermilab’s scientific mission success.
Fermilab employees can request access to this new tool on SharePoint:
- March 19, 2023 – New URA-Fermilab internship opportunity for undergraduate women in STEM
- March 10, 2023 – New STEM program for high school girls comes to Fermilab
- February 3, 2023 – 2023 Lunar New Year celebration
- December 16, 20220 – 10 ways Fermilab advanced science and technology in 2022
- November 22, 2022 – Inaugural cohort of ASPIRE fellows share their experiences
- November 11, 2022 – Celebration of Diwali: Festival of Lights at Fermilab
- September 29, 2022 – Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
- July 27, 2022 – Fermilab takes science to Pride
- June 20, 2022 – Fermilab recognizes Juneteenth as a paid holiday, and the Office of EDI offers two virtual events to celebrate.
DOE Office of Science – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science (SC) is fully committed to fostering safe, diverse, equitable, and inclusive work, research, and funding environments that value mutual respect and personal integrity. Effective stewardship and promotion of diverse and inclusive workplaces that value and celebrate a diversity of people, ideas, cultures, and educational backgrounds is foundational to delivering on the SC mission. The scientific community engaged in SC-sponsored activities is expected to be respectful, ethical, and professional. More »