Our goal is to provide an environment where we leverage the best local, national, and international talent to contribute to our research and our innovations.
Laboratory statement of diversity
Fermilab develops, implements and maintains purposeful and intentional strategic initiatives to support a respectful organizational culture and intellectually diverse workplace. Our workforce and community collaborations advance the laboratory’s mission and accountability to welcome and excite diverse national and global talent. Our hallmarks include sharing knowledge, strengthening professional networks, and assuring equity and inclusion for each member of the lab community.
A workplace culture of inclusion:
- promotes a cohesive environment which positively impacts productivity, morale, and innovation
- fosters respect and values each employee’s contributions
- welcomes the experiences, perspectives, and strengths of a diverse workforce to drive teamwork, innovation, critical analysis and creativity
For the first time, Fermilab will officially recognize Juneteenth as a paid holiday. In 2021 Juneteenth became a federal holiday marking the 1865 emancipation of enslaved African Americans in the United States. The African American/Black Association Laboratory Resource Group organized two virtual events honoring the holiday, and Fermilab will observe Juneteenth on Monday, June 20, 2022. More information on Juneteenth is available here.
Fermilab takes science to Pride, July 27, 2022
For the first time, Fermilab’s Spectrum (LGBTQ+) Community Laboratory Resource Group participated in the Pride parades of Chicago and Aurora in support of the group’s membership. Information on connecting with Spectrum and downloadable Zoom backgrounds are available on their website.
- July 27, 2022 – Fermilab takes science to Pride
- May 17, 2022 – The other physics problem from Symmetry: Black physicists say efforts to recruit and retain more Black students must concentrate on challenges they face at both Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Primarily White Institutions.
- May 4, 2022 – Fermilab strengthens commitment to U.S. veterans and JROTC with new $4 million workforce development program
- February 28, 2022 – Fermilab lends support to African School of Fundamental Physics
- January 5, 2022 – EDI Task Force helping to advance a culture of inclusivity
- October 11, 2021 – Coffee delivers a taste of community for Fermilab’s Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
DOE Office of Science – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science (SC) is fully committed to fostering safe, diverse, equitable, and inclusive work, research, and funding environments that value mutual respect and personal integrity. Effective stewardship and promotion of diverse and inclusive workplaces that value and celebrate a diversity of people, ideas, cultures, and educational backgrounds is foundational to delivering on the SC mission. The scientific community engaged in SC-sponsored activities is expected to be respectful, ethical, and professional. More »