A Fermilab VetTech is a military veteran interning as a technician to provide routine technical support for an assigned experiment or support group. The VetTech Internship Program assumes apprenticeship level expertise, general military experience and/or knowledge based on academic study. A VetTech works under the direct supervision of a Fermilab employee. The technician-intern may fabricate, assemble, calibrate, operate, test, repair or modify a variety of electronic or mechanical equipment, systems, devices or databases. The intern may also work in information technology, procurement or perform environmental, safety and health duties, including environmental, wastewater disposal and radiological surveys.10-week, 40-hour workweek, paid internships are available annually in the summer.
In 2022, Fermilab also launched a new extension of VetTech called Veteran Applied Laboratory Occupational Retraining (VALOR). The new program expands opportunities for military veterans by providing multiple entry points for STEM-based technical learning and training that lead to consideration for full-time employment. Interested parties are encouraged to apply at Fermilab jobs.
- Military experience
- Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Salary: $20.00 per hour
- Housing: Not provided or arranged by program.
- Transportation: Not provided or arranged by program.
- Online application and Questionnaire
- Discharge Papers
- Unofficial transcript (optional)
- Complete a 10-week program under supervision of Fermilab employee
Dec 4, 2021 – May 16, 2022
The U.S. Department of Labor has named Fermilab a 2019 HIRE Vets Gold Medallion Award recipient. The award recognizes job creators who demonstrate a strong commitment to recruiting, hiring and retaining the nation’s veterans.
2022 VetTech Application Closes May 16, 2022
- Fermilab News: Fermilab receives 2019 HIRE Vets Gold Medallion Award – November 21, 2019
- C-SPAN: Lauren Underwood shares Aria Soha’s story – May 1, 2019
- Fermilab News: Fermilab’s recruitment of veterans is a win-win for everyone – November 8, 2018
- Chicago Tribune | The Beacon-News: Fermilab program aims to help veterans – November 12, 2018
- First Light | 90.9fm WDCB: Fermi Lab Internship Gives Veterans A Hand Up – November 11, 2018
- Kane County Chronicle: Putting veterans to work – November 8, 2018
- VALOR (Veteran Applied Laboratory Occupational Retraining) Program
- VetTech Program at Fermilab | Fact Sheet (8.5 × 11 in) [PDF]
- VetTech Program Promo – Poster (11 × 17 in) [PDF]