Mission: Fermilab’s African American Black Association aims to inspire, educate, and empower the African American and Black community at Fermilab by creating a safe and inclusive space for the exchange of ideas and community building.
Vision: To fully leverage our unique perspectives and talents to advocate for, and provide awareness to, Fermilab to ensure equity and inclusion for all across the lab community.
For the first time, Fermilab will observe Juneteenth as a paid holiday on June 20, 2022. Juneteenth became a federal holiday in 2021, marking the 1865 emancipation of enslaved African Americans in the United States. More information on the holiday and related events are available here.
African School of Fundamental Physics
The African School of Fundamental Physics and Application (ASP) is a biennial physics school aimed at improving the quality of higher education in Africa. The three-week term school is hosted every two years by a different African country and supports students from all over Africa.
Historic success of the program is largely due to international lecturers and participants who volunteer their time to give talks and teach courses. Fermilab science and technology professionals are encouraged to get involved.
More information and a sign-up form is available here.
African School of Physics (ASP) website (external)
- Observing Juneteenth, June 17, 2022
- The other physics problem, Symmetry, May 17, 2022
- African-American/Black LRG starts new year with new executive sponsor, February 7, 2022
- #BlackInQuantum, Symmetry, January 27, 2022
- A collective strategy for physics in Africa, Symmetry, August 10, 2021
- #BlackInPhysics week to build community, increase visibility, Symmetry, October 22, 2020
- Boosting the representation of Black students, Symmetry, July 30, 2020
- Coily, Danner, Green: 150 years of Fermilab history, February 26, 2020
- DuPage County NAACP
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP)
- National Society of Blacks in Computing (NSBC)
Fermipoint: AABA Documents and Materials (login required)
Executive Sponsor: Jemila Adetunji