Mission: Spectrum is a lab resource group dedicated to building awareness and providing resources for the LGBTQ+ community to foster an environment of understanding, acceptance, and equality for all within the laboratory community.
Vision: The group will focus on promoting equity at all levels, advancing LGBTQ+ friendly policies and benefits, promoting an inclusive and welcoming workplace environment, and participating in outreach activities.
We welcome everyone who is interested in seeing our lab community grow stronger, safer, and more open. Spectrum is an inclusive community made up of people of all orientations with allies especially welcome; out or not, Spectrum needs you!
Fermilab’s Spectrum is modeled after and will closely cooperate with Argonne National Laboratory’s Spectrum organization, formed in 2015. The two groups will hold joint events and trainings, but will remain separate entities. Participation in this lab-wide resource group is open to all employees, visitors, and guests of Fermilab.
- An Inclusive Resources Guide is now available for the Fermilab community. The site includes benefits, procedures, points of contact, and more!
- To join our Listserv, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with SUBSCRIBE SPECTRUM in the email body.
- Add your pronouns to your Fermilab e-mail signature with this step-by-step guide.
- Add your gender identity and chosen name to your workforce profile with this step-by-step guide.
Celebrate 2023 Pride Month
Aurora and Chicago Pride Parades: We are once again and hope you can join us! Mark your calendars for Sunday, June 11 (Aurora) and Sunday, June 25 (Chicago). Click HERE to sign up to be a participant. Contact Jean Reising with any questions on these events.
We had a lot of fun at last year’s parades. View the pictures here.
June 8: Pride poster making get together: Join Spectrum in making the posters we’ll carry in the parades during the month of June! We will gather in Wilson Hall on Thursday, June 8, from 3:30 – 6:30. Contact Laura Rogas for more information
June 13: SafeZone Training: The flagship workshop by Spectrum will take place in person. The presentation focuses on creating a welcoming and inclusive space for LGBTQ+ members of the Fermilab community. Contact Anahí Ruiz Beltran for more information on enrolling.
June 18: Progress Flag Raising: Fermilab will commemorate Pride Month 2023 with a short ceremony in the Wilson Hall Art Gallery. Please join Spectrum and the Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility as we celebrate year-round visibility and inclusion. Contact Finley Novak for more information.
Continue celebrating Pride with us! We are offering the following resources and suggestions to help you show your support.
- Show your support through Zoom! Open and save one of the images below and set your Zoom background to it
Resources and News
- Fermilab Today emails now use preferred names in greetings, August 9, 2022
- Fermilab takes science to Pride, July 27, 2022
- Changing a name without forfeiting credit, Symmetry, July 28, 2021
- Scientific publishing organizations and national laboratories partner on transgender-inclusive name-change process for published papers, July 28, 2021
As a part of Inclusion Matters, Spectrum provides Safe Zone Training multiple times each year. This presentation available to the Fermilab community for ongoing reference here: Fermilab LGBTQ+ Safe Zone Presentation July 2023
Guide: LGBTQ + Inclusivity in Physics and Astronomy [PDF] | SGMA/AAS, April 2018
- Pronouns.org | Resources on personal pronouns
- Lesbians Who Tech is a Community of Queer Women in or around tech (and the people who love them)
- NOGLSTP | National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Out Alliance | LGBTQ Education & SafeZone
- oSTEM | Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Pride in STEM | A charitable trust for LGBT+ in Science, Engineering, Tech, and Maths
- Point Foundation | The National LGBTQ Scholarship Fund
LGBTQ Youth Resources
- PFLAG (Northern Il. Council) | Supports LGBTQ people, their families and friends through local PFLAG chapter help lines, support group meetings and locally and nationally produced resources
- Youth Outlook | Local group focused on providing support, safe space and drop-in centers for LGBTQ teens in Naperville, Elgin, DeKalb, Ottawa, Sterling, and Palatine
- Resources for LGBTQ+ Youth by State
Fermipoint: Spectrum Documents and Materials (login required)