Mission: Spectrum is a lab resource group dedicated to building awareness and providing resources for the LGBTQ+ community to foster an environment of understanding, acceptance, and equality for all within the laboratory community.
Vision: The group will focus on promoting equity at all levels, advancing LGBTQ+ friendly policies and benefits, promoting an inclusive and welcoming workplace environment, and participating in outreach activities.
We welcome everyone who is interested in seeing our lab community grow stronger, safer, and more open. Spectrum is an inclusive community made up of people of all orientations with allies especially welcome; out or not, Spectrum needs you!
Fermilab’s Spectrum is modeled after and will closely cooperate with Argonne National Laboratory’s Spectrum organization, formed in 2015. The two groups will hold joint events and trainings, but will remain separate entities. Participation in this lab-wide resource group is open to all employees, visitors, and guests of Fermilab.
- To join our Listserv, please send an email to email@example.com with SUBSCRIBE SPECTRUM in the email body.
- Add your pronouns to your Fermilab e-mail signature with this step-by-step guide.
- Add your gender identity to your workforce profile with this step-by-step guide.
Celebrate Pride Month
We marched in the 2022 Aurora and Chicago Pride Parades! View the pictures here and stay tuned for next year!
Continue celebrating Pride with us! We are offering the following resources and suggestions to help you show your support.
- Show your support through Zoom! Open and save one of the images below and set your Zoom background to it
Resources and News
- Fermilab Today emails now use preferred names in greetings, August 9, 2022
- Fermilab takes science to Pride, July 27, 2022
- Changing a name without forfeiting credit, Symmetry, July 28, 2021
- Scientific publishing organizations and national laboratories partner on transgender-inclusive name-change process for published papers, July 28, 2021
As a part of Inclusion Matters, Spectrum provides Safe Zone Training multiple times each year. This presentation available to the Fermilab community for ongoing reference here: Fermilab LGBTQ+ Safe Zone Presentation June 2021
Report: LGBT Climate in Physics [PDF] | APS, March 2016
Guide: LGBTQ + Inclusivity in Physics and Astronomy [PDF] | SGMA/AAS, April 2018
- Lesbians Who Tech is a Community of Queer Women in or around tech (and the people who love them)
- NOGLSTP | National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Out Alliance | LGBTQ Education & SafeZone
- oSTEM | Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Pride in STEM | A charitable trust for LGBT+ in Science, Engineering, Tech, and Maths
- Point Foundation | The National LGBTQ Scholarship Fund
LGBTQ Youth Resources
- PFLAG (Northern Il. Council) | Supports LGBTQ people, their families and friends through local PFLAG chapter help lines, support group meetings and locally and nationally produced resources
- Youth Outlook | Local group focused on providing support, safe space and drop-in centers for LGBTQ teens in Naperville, Elgin, DeKalb, Ottawa, Sterling, and Palatine
- Resources for LGBTQ+ Youth by State
Fermipoint: Spectrum Documents and Materials (login required)
Contact Erica Snider or Pete Cholewinski for more information; Executive Sponsor: Steve Brice, PhD, Division Head, ND